On May 16, 2016, I sat down for a nice interview with Performance Today's Fred Child in the New York studios of American Public Media.
In conjunction with the 2016 centennial anniversary of the National Park Service, we talked about how the national parks have inspired me to write chamber and concert music that celebrates the landscape, cultural history, wildlife, and (most of all) adventure that these amazing places have to offer.
It was broadcast on May 27 and 28, 2016 and is available as an on-demand stream at the link above.
Our conversation ranged through many topics, but for those who would like more information, here are some of the highlights of our talk (although not everything made it through the editing into the broadcast).
- Gates of the Arctic (excerpts) - performed by Michael Butterman and the Boulder Philharmonic.
- Crown of the Continent - performed by Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra, Petr Vronský, conductor. To be released on July 8 on the "Sparks" CD from Parma Recordings.
- River Runner (discussed in interview, but not included in broadcast) - performed by Deb Scott (trombone) and Ron Petti (piano). Available on Encounters CD.
- Range of Light (discussed in interview, but not included in broadcast) - performed by Nathan Nabb (saxophone) and James Pitts (piano). Available on Encounters and Range of Light CDs.
PROGRAMS, FESTIVALS, ENSEMBLES AND ORGANIZATIONS:
- Alaska Geographic
- Boulder Philharmonic
- Composing in the Wilderness
- Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival
- SHIFT Festival of American Orchestras
- Stephen F. Austin State University
- Wild Shore New Music
NATIONAL PARKS MENTIONED:
- Arches National Park (UT)
- Big Bend National Park (TX)
- Denali National Park and Preserve (AK)
- Federal Hall National Memorial (NY)
- Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve (AK)
- Glacier Bay National Park (AK)
- Glacier National Park (MT)
- Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
- Grand Teton National Park (WY)
- Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park (VT)
- Rocky Mountain National Park (CO)
- Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site (NH)
- Weir Farm National HIstoric Site (CT)
- Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts (VA)
- Wrangell-St. Elias National Park (AK)
- Yosemite National Park (CA)
- Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve (AK)